[Gluster-devel] gluster 'quota' implementation

From: Marian Marinov
Subject: [Gluster-devel] gluster 'quota' implementation
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:36:39 +0200

Hello,
today we had a conversation with one of the users at #gluster and I mentioned
a way of implementing quota without actually implementing quota :)

The idea is simple, we can use the quota support of the underlying FS and
replicate it to the whole cluster using a predefined dir in the glusterfs
cluster.

What I'm proposing is:
1. create a dir within glusterfs, for example .quota
2. every machine will export its results from repquota or at least the code
behind repquota and save the output to a file which will be named after the
hostname of the machine.
3. Wait 1 min after step 2 and read all files from .quota
4. Save or update all the information from step 3 in the memory
5. Use the stored into memory information to enforce quota

My question is, are you interested in a translator that does this? If you are,
I'm interested in writing it :)

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov