Re: [Gluster-devel] gluster 'quota' implementation

From: Tejas N. Bhise
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] gluster 'quota' implementation
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:35:31 -0600 (CST)

Hi Marian,

We have a volume quota translator which can be used to provide user, group and
directory level quota also ( e.g., create a volume per user need - home, bin,
public etc and mount as such ). So in that sense, user, group and directory
level quota can be provided as a solution, even though its not present as a
feature per se. It works on 2.x. We are putting some of the fixes on 3.x now so
it will work there as well.

Till a while back, we did not get much requests for quota support so that side
of the FS was less aggressively pursued and hence it was not officially
supported. We still, however aggressively fix bugs reported by users.

There are now a few volunteers ( including you :-) ) and we are also thinking
of a best possible implementation of this. I think this is an extremely good
opportunity to do some real "community development" line item for GlusterFS.

Let me discuss with our lead on how best to organize this so we can leverage
all volunteers.

Regards,
Tejas Bhise.