[Gluster-devel] glusterfs as centralized and high-availability storage f

From: admin
Subject: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs as centralized and high-availability storage for virtualization
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:01:17 +0100

hello.

I am using glusterfs 3.0.3. and I think it is a realy cool project. thanks to all developers.

my idea was to use glusterfs for a centralized and highavailability backend-storage for virtual xen-domus. but I had different errors in my tests. what I have done:

2x server as glusterfs-server - called server[1,2]
1x server as clusterfs-client - called client1

example gluster-config on the servers:
---------------------
volume brick1
   type storage/posix
   option directory /test
end-volume

# posix locks
volume brick1-locks
  type features/posix-locks
  subvolumes brick1
end-volume

volume brick2
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp/client
   option remote-host 192.168.11.214   # IP address of server2
   option remote-subvolume brick1-locks   # use brick1 on server2

end-volume

volume replicate
   type cluster/replicate
   subvolumes brick2 brick1-locks
end-volume

volume server
   type protocol/server
   option transport-type tcp/server
   subvolumes brick1-locks replicate
   option auth.ip.brick1-locks.allow 192.168.11*,127.0.0.1
   option auth.ip.replicate.allow 192.168.11*,127.0.0.1
end-volume
---------------------

on client1
* I run xen 3.4.1
* I have "mounted" glusterfs from server[1,2] -> in this mount-point there is my xen-image

so my idea is following:
if server1 has a problem or has to be shutdown -> then the xen-image has to run on server2 without interruption and errors if server2 has a problem or has to be shutdown -> then the xen-image has to run on server1 without interruption and errors

so I tried both - server-side-replication and client-side-replication.
here are my test-results:

client-side-replication
---------------------
* I shut down (killed) server1 -> the xen-domu runs further on server2 without any interruption * after server1 comes up again -> self-healing takes places -> the virtual xen-domu is not reachable until self-healing ends

server-side-replication
with server-side-replication I tried 2 different configuration. one with HA and one with round robin dns -> both have the same result. -> HA: the client has not mounted the glusterfs-mount via the real address of server1 or server2 -> but it has mounted it via a HA-IP-adress between server1 and server2 -> so if one of the servers has a problem, the HA-IP will be switched -> rrdns: like explained here: http://gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/High-availability_storage_using_server-side_AFR

the result of both possibilitys:
* I shut down (killed) server1 -> the xen-domu runs further on server2 but there are many errors -> I have to stop the xen-domu and start it again -> then everything seems to be fine * after server1 comes up again -> self-healing takes places -> the virtual xen-domu is not reachable until self-healing ends (same problem as with the client-side-replication)

so my question is:
is it possible to have a centralized, high availablity glusterfs storage for virtual images?
if so, what am I doing wrong?
if not so, why?

if I forgot something to mention or you need another config-file, please be so kind and tell me. I will give it to you.

thank you very very much!!