gneuralnetwork

Re: [Gneuralnetwork] Bayesian models and Monte Carlo methods

From: Tobias Wessels
Subject: Re: [Gneuralnetwork] Bayesian models and Monte Carlo methods
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:36:49 +0700

Hi JM,

Yes, I see that Monte Carlo methods are used to generate (more or less) random walks in order to approximate complex integrals over spaces of high dimensionalities. The papers that I have read and cited earlier, therefore, do not even mention neural networks in the first place. So the principles of these methods and benefits of more sophisticated methods (such as Hybrid Monte Carlo methods) are somewhat clear to me, however, as I understand it, they are themselves not related to neural networks, but rather used as a tool in the training process. As I see it, they can be implemented completely separately from the neural network framework.

If that is correct, maybe I should try to reformulate my question:
If a set of Monte Carlo methods is implemented as a standalone library/tool, how (or in which step) would they be used in optimizing the neural network? A maximum likelihood approach has no need for calculating such complex integrals, does it?

Kind regards,
Tobias