gnobb-dev-savannah

[Gnobb-dev-savannah] bleed

From: Rowland Dennis
Subject: [Gnobb-dev-savannah] bleed
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:03:20 -0700

Slowly but surely the Earl of Killmallocks great-granddaughterdescended in the social scale. One after another she createsher fools, her prigs, her worldlings, her Mr. Then there was thebeautiful young woman in the castle among the forests of Dauphiny. Thetea chest was secured, the garden gate locked, and the bills leftunpaid.
What do you think George paid for his shirts, sheasks?
She stimulates us to supply what is notthere.
I wont, indeed, Sir, said I; so he opened a Cabinet,and showed me a whole parcel of empty drawers.
Thus Laetitia is inthe great tradition of English women of letters.
Jane Austen is thus a mistress of much deeper emotion thanappears upon the surface. Shecould not throw herself whole-heartedly into a romantic moment.
The poor man rushed on passionately,incoherently about his son, his genius, his death. Edgeworth used to tell his children, every dayof your life. Her little boywas allowed to roam the country like a poor mans son, bare-legged,untaught. Hence our knowledge of Jane Austen is derived from a little gossip,a few letters, and her books.
Run mad as often as youchuse, but do not faint.
But what, in the name of wonder, werethose objects in the middle of the grass plot?
Reading had played her false, butstill she could write.
And whenever, to the end ofhis life, he thought of Thomas Day, he fell silent.
Natureand its beauties she approached in a sidelong way of her own. It is almost the only occasion upon which silence is recorded ofhim. Then, red-faced, garrulous, inquisitive, inburst Richard Lovell Edgeworth. It is her duty toentertain; it is her instinct to conceal.
Yet off she drove with him in his fine phaeton. Pilkington, three volumes bound in one, printedby Peter Hoey in Dublin, MDCCLXXVI. She was a Roman Catholic then, but why apenitent? Atonce our senses quicken; we are possessed with the peculiarintensity which she alone can impart.
Delight strangely mingles with our amusement. Here we perceive that she was no conjuror afterall.
She has neither arms nor legs;a footman carries her in and out. I long to listen to the young-eyd cherubims!
She depicts a Mary Crawford in hermixture of good and bad entirely by this means. But memories of great men are no infallible specific.
She has neither arms nor legs;a footman carries her in and out.
And why was the house in this state oflitter and decay?
And whenever, to the end ofhis life, he thought of Thomas Day, he fell silent.