gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Remaster scripts in CVS

From: cyberdune
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Remaster scripts in CVS
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:32:19 +0100

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:15:24 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <address@hidden> wrote:

Dear Markus,

I noticed your changes on CVS.  Apparently you added some scripts to the
gnoppix module.  I have a few questions related to this:

What files from the CVS could be published on the website?

If you want to do the work you can add all relevated stuff from cvs to HP.
But in my opionion they have to be in a thematical context.
Don't place only scripts on HP but more docu (like Knoppix Wiki).

As  a general  approach, would  it  be technically  possible to  provide
debian packages to «  transform » a Woody into a  Gnoppix?

That is possible and I think it will be a way to the future.
But keep in mind - Knoppix needed 2 years before providing those packages!
Hope we will be faster ;-)
And if we want to become an own distribution has to be discussed from all.
No focus on that this time.

What I don't understand is  why you focus on remastering the Gnoppix CD,
instead of maintaining sources, and debian packages.

Sorry, you didnt get that. The remaster stuff is MY OWN work.
It is my contribution of my work on Gnoppix to the community.

Now, where is your work?
(sorry Jean, I didnt mean you personally,
as I know you are doing a good job - it what rhetorical question ;-)

There is now focus on nothing but who, I said the community rules.
The remaster is just a little fun game.
It is ONE task I defined on the Savannah Project Pages!
Are you not watching there the tasks?
Why are only Godsmacker and I currently working on something?
Thought there were 8 Members!!

Guys, please look on the Project Pages, DO BUGTRACKING, define Tasks and solve them! Otherwise I would like to give only temporarly task-oriented write permission to cvs. Good idea?

The revision control would be much easier that  way.

now, I don't think so.

How much work would be  involved to have Gnoppix
managed like any other software package?

much work. more people. each package needs one maintainer in the best case.
But now hundreds of packages CANT be maintained like this way!!
Hope we develope fast and grow, to have the possibility.

BTW I found the Knoppix sources here:
http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/
Ja, but they have been developed in the whole time existing Knoppix.
There are no packages (and it is NOT possible) to turn your
woody into Knoppix - and btw, WHO want that??

We can't snip and provide packages! We are building everytime from scratch again!
Why dont you gzip the /CREDATIV/etc/skel directory and scream
you have made an gnoppix-package like knx-etc-skel_0.3.4.deb?
That would be great - but is also a question of time and ressources.
In my opinion we should keep everything on CVS, to be transparent to the Community.
And should animate the Communtiy (eg with the HOMEPAGE ;) to help us
improving the scripts, and maybe to help us building packages!

If you want us primary to build Packages we could do that -
but could also turn into a commercial distributor like
SuSe and earn money from that - and that would be bad..

So people - HELP us providing scripts, send stuff to cvs, build packages!!!
We want that!! We appreciate that!!!

Is  it feasible  to have  the  same kind  of sources?   Maybe I'm  wrong
because I didn't experiment yet with the Knoppix sources, but isn't that
supposed to transform a Woody into a Knoppix?

No, your wrong. They came later and are not invented by Klaus Knopper.

I said it already on that mailing-list, it's much more convenient for us
to transform a Woody based on  apt sources that get updated, rather than
downloading each time an ISO.

Ja, but this is a Live-CD and has nothing to do with a real Distribution.

And again, people... To get the newest iso, just use RSYNC!!
        rsync -zuc <your-old.iso> <your-new.iso>
dl maybe 50MB!!

I'm looking forward to get your comments soon,

here they were ;-)

I am interested in all your comments, people, gimme feedback!

How should we handle the questions above?
Am I right to involve the Community to build scripts and packages?
Am I right to let the Community remaster and write cheats and docs like in Knoppix?

Regards,
        Markus

--
Im Gedenken an die Opfer des 11. September -
des Tages, an dem 1973 mit Hilfe der USA Chiles Präsident Allende gestürzt und General Pinochet an die Macht geputscht wurde,