gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer

From: Pedro M.
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:33:30 +0100

Samuel wrote...

Hello all,
Hi...

I'm new to this list so I'll introduce myself: My name is Samuel Abels
and I've done several open source projects before. I've recently had a
look at the Gnoppix sources and figured that you still need a GUI
HD-installer ;-).
And a USB (keydrive) installer ( the code would be 64 MB max.), to boot Gnoppix from the BIOS.

* A GUI installer should be implemented using Perl.
For sure.

* There's already some code written (which i did today). I'm currently
implementing a partition editor.
For those who are interested, I've already done some screenshots:

http://sam.homeunix.com/gnoppix/ss_welcome.png
http://sam.homeunix.com/gnoppix/ss_hdsel.png
http://sam.homeunix.com/gnoppix/ss_partedit.png

If I install AGnoppix in /dev/hdb does it affect to /dev/hda ???. How do I boot from /dev/hdb0 ( changing the BIOS prioritary boot device ??).
This for me would be the right solution.

* Moving forward with that, if others are willing to help (or even if
not ;) ), that code should be checked into CVS somewhere. -> A new CVS
module would probably make sense, otherwise I'd have to open up a whole
new project, which would IMHO be nonsense.
Perhaps a module to install any LiveCD in the hard disk / USB key ( Gnoppix, Knoppix or anyone else ???). I suggest include support for an easy translation of the menus to another languages.

Go ahear with the good work.

Regards.