gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer

From: Florian Ragwitz
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:50:40 +0100

Hello,

welcome and thank you for your interest and contributions. :-)

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:50:53PM +0100, Samuel wrote:
> This morning, I've already had a discussion with "godsmacker" at
> #gnoppix and here's some of the conclusions that we've come to:

> * First of all, only a text based perl implementation should be made.
> That is actually a point that, after reviewing the code, I would
> discourage to do now. There's just not a lot backend in the installation
> routines, so I believe that there would be a lot of redundancy which is
> not actually necessary. That's why I have, in fact, already started
> implementing the GUI. Which leads me to the fact that...

I would really prefer to write a text-based installer at first. Lots of
subs to get some information about the system and other stuff are needed
to be written. These subs are useable within both a graphical and a
text-based installer.
Because the current bash-written installer is a bit buggy and a
text-based installer is necessary in my eyes it would be the best if
this text-based installer would also be implemented using Perl because
the above mentioned subs are already existing. A text-based installer is
also a good possibility to test these subs in a easy way.
So I would prefer the following way to a GUI instaler:

* write some subs which contain the installer low-level logics
* write a text based installer using this subs (will be probably written
  during the implementation of the subs because they need to get tested.
* write a GUI installer based on the text-based installer (only that
  parts that contain the user-interface need to be rewritten.

> * There's already some code written (which i did today). I'm currently
> implementing a partition editor.

Thanks for your great commitment, but not as hurriedly. We first need to
make some basic conventions to build up on.

Regards,
Florian "godsmacker" Ragwitz

--
This email is made of 100% recycled electrons.