gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] urdu_keyboarlayout

From: zainabia
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] urdu_keyboarlayout
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:28:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am new to Linux world and was introduced to it only by using Knoppix.

One thing which was missing for me in Knoppix was support of Urdu
(Pakistan National Language), as there is no Urdu Keyboard included in it.

But there were keyboards of Arabic and Persian (Iranian) language already
there. And Urdu language is very close to them (only 6-7 extra Alphabets).

The official Language of Pakistan is English, and we are using English
(US) keyboard. In order to write Urdu, we use some extra softwares in
Windows (like "Inpage" and "Urdu 98"). Both of them use "Phonetic Urdu
Keyboard Layout".

"Phonetic Urdu Keyboard Layout" means we have similar sounding Urdu
Alphabets under all English alphabets.

e.g. English alphabet "a" produces same sound as Urdu alphabet "Alif". So,
on "Phonetic Urdu Keyboard Layout", we have Urdu Alphabet "Alif" for "a"
key in English (US) keyboard.

I have prepaired a chart of Hex. values of all English (US) keyboard, and
the corresponding Hex. values of all Urdu alphabets. I have uploaded it on
the net, and it can be viewed at:

http://www.zainabia.shiawebs.com/urdu_keyboard_layout.htm

===============

So I want to know if you "Gnoppix" can help us in adding the Urdu Keyboard
in Gnoppix?

(Please keep in mind that this important language is spoken by 145 Million
people in Pakistan, and 196 millions in India).

I wrote it earlier to Mr. Klaus Knopper, but still not received a reply (I
don't know if this is the real field of Mr. Klaus Knopper and if he can
help us in this regard).

So, I wanted to know if "Gnoppix" professionals can help us with addition
of this Urdu Keyboard? Even if it is not your field, then please refer me
to the right people for this job.

Thanks and Regards.