gnucap-devel

lepton/geda diffs: B (Re: sym to verilog-ams)

From: karl
Subject: lepton/geda diffs: B (Re: sym to verilog-ams)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:53:39 +0200 (CEST)

Felix:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:24:11PM +0200, karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> > So, what is really the goal (for both sym and sch files) ?
> > Is it:
> > A, "diff orig_file round_trip_file | wc -c" == 0
> > B, sort files by some program and there will be no diffs
> > C, converting files to jpg's and they they don't show any differences
> > D, the netlists produced with alt. orig/round_trip produces no diff
> > E, something else
>
> A C D?. Perhaps A is unrealistic. I do not understand B. E is optional.

Regarding B.

The lines, with some caveats, in a sch/sym can basically be put
in any order.

E.g.

v 20191003 2
T 0 2600 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
author=Karl Hammar
P 200 0 0 0 1 0 1
{
T 175 85 5 8 0 1 0 7 1
pinnumber=2
T 175 85 5 8 0 1 0 7 1
pinseq=2
T 175 -60 5 5 0 1 0 7 1
pintype=pas
}

is the same to lepton/geda as

v 20191003 2
P 200 0 0 0 1 0 1
{
T 175 -60 5 5 0 1 0 7 1
pintype=pas
T 175 85 5 8 0 1 0 7 1
pinseq=2
T 175 85 5 8 0 1 0 7 1
pinnumber=2
}
T 0 2600 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
author=Karl Hammar

But to the program diff, they are clearly different.

By presorting the files you can compare them in their (if I dare to say)
"canonical" form.

How you do the sorting is mostly irrelevant as long as it is
deterministic and follow sch/sym file format rules.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar