gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Jupiter-T driver

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Jupiter-T driver
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 05:27:14 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> Around the end of 2007, Mick Durkin appears to have had a gpsd driver for the
> Jupiter-T timing receiver. The 'writing-a-driver.html' page still describes
> his work. However, I can't find the driver code (and I have a Jupiter-T,
> which is silent because it need .probe_detect to start sending data)
>
> Did this driver ever get incorporated into gpsd? I've looked at 2.96, and it
> doesn't seem to be there - I think 2.36 was mentioned as a potential first
> release.

The Jupiter-T uses the Zodiac driver.  That has indeed been incorporated; it's
actually one of the oldest and best-tested drivers in our suite.  But many
Zodiac devices have odd startup requirements like the one you describe, and
we'll need to teach gpsd about yours.

To do that, we'll need technical documentation describing how the probe_detect
needs to be written. Can you supply that?

Also, be aware that (because of the startup requirement) we won't be able to
regression-test the device.  Support for it is likely to be somewhat fragile.