gpsd-dev

Re: ✘example

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘example
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 15:09:27 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> My standard approach is to do a build and install and then deal with
>> files that are in the wrong place, and I think that's what most
>> packagers do.  So the first step, if you want examples installed, is
>> to have the default build install them.
>
> And then the packagers split them into a -dev package, and no one
> installs them.

I don't deal with the -dev bit, but if they are in the same package as
the include file you need, seems ok.

>> Different packaging systems have different notions of where they go.
>> Hence my suggestion that docdir and exampledir be settable as
>> variables. on the build command line.
>
> Gentoo uses neither.  Has to be in /share/

My point is that some packaging systems consider documentation and
examples to be different things and to belong in different places.  If
you want to put them both in the same dir, that's of course fine.   I
was merely asking for config variables in the same vein as libdir,
bindir and so on, to make it easy to do that.   This doc/example split
is longstanding, I think maybe rom the 80s, maybe only 90s;