gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsinfo

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: ✘gpsinfo
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:57:06 -0700

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 5:25 PM Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
netstat is not being installed by default anymore, its deprecated for good.

ss is the default tool on linux.

Why not check for both ss and netstat because not everything is linux (though I'm guessing that's where most of the problems come from)? Oh, I've got a couple of openwrt machines right here that have netstat but not ss. Hm, has anyone been brave enough to try gpsd under WSL?

Since I'm looking, there might be files like /etc/openwrt_release, /etc/os-release, ... I'm sure there are others

As for privacy protections - what about replacing IP addresses other than 0.0.0.0 and 127.* with X's? I could imagine people complaining about exposing their real RFC1918 addresses. What's the point of netstat - checking that gpsd is listening and whether it's on localhost or not, right?

would it be worth also checking systemd, to see if it's doing something especially insane?