gpsd-dev

RE: Problems with miss-behaving uBlox Module

From: Neustifter Andreas
Subject: RE: Problems with miss-behaving uBlox Module
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 04:52:10 +0000

HI Gary,

> From: gpsd-dev <gpsd-dev-bounces+andreas.neustifter=kapsch.net@nongnu.org> On
> Behalf Of Gary E. Miller - Sent: Montag, 29. März 2021 20:27
>
> Yo Neustifter!
Andreas is fine...

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:49:36 +0000
> Neustifter Andreas <Andreas.Neustifter@kapsch.net> wrote:
>
> > we experienced windows of about 5-7 seconds where no data from GPSd
> > (via the IP interface at port 2947) was received when GPSd is
> > connected to our uBlox (NEO M8N, SPG 3.01, EXT CORE 3.01 (107900),
> > Protocol 18.00) modules.
>
> Ouch.
>
> What gpsd version?  How was it built?

Sorry, should have mentioned that: it's a 3.21, cross compiled for x86 on a
64-bit Debian 9 with custom RTCM packet handling. No modifications to the
parsing though.

> > After investigations with strace we found that the UBX-NAV-PVT message
> > sometimes reports a length of zero. This leads to the lexer not
> > working and the lexer-buffer filling up until an error occurs and the
> > buffer is reset. Attached a strace output of an offending message.
>
> The lexer should be able to handle UBX lenght zero.  Can you provide a serial
> capture of the u-blox binary stream doing that?

How would you like me to do that? The device is connected via USB on a tty,
unfortunately this only happens with an update rate of at least 5 Hz and then
only seldomly. Providing a full trace might not be that useful.

> > We currently believe this to be a bug in the firmware of our modules
> > but are checking with uBlox.
>
> Good luck with that.  AFAIK the sum mtotal of bugs they acknowledged from
> gpsd users is one.

Thanks.

> > Has anyone else experienced this kind of issues?
>
> Not me.

Yes I figured, couldn't find anything so I thought it doesn't hurt to ask.

> > The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and
> > confidential and is for the exclusive use of the addressee.
>
> Seriously?  You know this is a public email list with public archives?

Seriously? Do we have to do this song-and-dance every time I post to this
mailing list? You know that this is automatically attached by the mail server,
is boilerplate and I can't remove it?

Andreas

The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and confidential
and is for the exclusive use of the addressee. The person who receives this
message and who is not the addressee, one of his employees or an agent entitled
to hand it over to the addressee, is informed that he may not use, disclose or
reproduce the contents thereof, and is kindly asked to notify the sender and
delete the e-mail immediately.