gpsd-dev

Re: Building gpsd on mips big endian

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: Building gpsd on mips big endian
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:24:09 +0200

On Wed, 2021-04-28 at 16:37 -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> > I am seeing people run aarch64 in eb mode.
>
> Does that take special hardware?   Is it a jumper on the chip or a mode bit
> the software can set/reset?
>
> What's available in the way of hardware and/or OS/distro that supports BIG
> endian mode?

I think Debian buster was the last release to support BE mips.
Basically nobody is using that anymore. Too many limits.
People use mipsel these days.

If I remember right there are some development boards where the endianess is
switched at boot time. I still wouldn't spend time into it except you need
it.

We are testing gpsd on sparc64, which is big-endian.