gpsd-dev

Re: Is libusb required?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Is libusb required?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:09:26 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:55:53 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>
> >> Which, to my mind, implies that I do not need it.
> >
> > Correct.  BSD has no libusb, and works fine with gpsd.  Only the
> > Garmin driver ever uses libusb.  libusb could be used for better
> > device detection, but no one has submitted any ideas for that.
>
> a nit here:
>
> BSD systems have a very lean base, and NetBSD does not have libusb in
> base (and very probably the others but I haven't checked recently).

Gentoo does not have libusb in base either.  Many good reasons why
libusb is optional for gpsd.

> However, libusb is available in pkgsrc and routinely used.   So it
> exists in the same way as it does on GNU/Linux where it is also (like
> everything) within some sort of packaging system.  The pkgsrc gpsd
> package does depend on libusb.

It has been a long time since I looked at that, but if you want to help
get gpsd and libusb working with an old Garmin USB, we can do that.

Other than old Garmin USB, gpsd has no use for libusb.

> I don't mean to question anything else you said.  FWIW, the hacky
> script I used to build does a full clean first, because I find scons
> caches way too much state.

Yup.

RGDS
GARY