gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Draft GPSD-MIB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘Draft GPSD-MIB
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 13:05:28 -0700

Yo David!

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 06:39:36 +0100
David Taylor <davidtaylor@writeme.com> wrote:

> That's a good start, Gary.

And just a small start.

>  From my own and user's requests, could I suggest including:

I expect that everything in gpsd JSON would eventually be included.
But there is no point in a 100% complete MIB, with 0% working code.

For this start, I'm more concerned with basic architectural issues

I'm moving on to gpssnmp to start the actual use of the new draft MIB.

After some code works, I may change my mind on basic MIB structure.

> It could be helpful to see a few sample OIDs in a purely numeric
> form, as the MIB isn't the easiest of things to read.

Manually documenting the OIDs is a short term solution that is a lot of
work.  When the MIB is done, it is self documenting.

As I mentioned, you can easily use "mbrowse" to see the OIDs.

You can also look up the OID for any MIB entry with snmptranslate, part
of net-snmp:

    $  snmptranslate -m  +GPSD-MIB  -IR -On   devIndex
    .1.3.6.1.4.1.59054.3.2.1.1

> Should the standard OID values be included in a header file?  New
> file, or extending an existing one?

I see no value to that, It just duplicates, badly, the GPSD-MIB file.
Just use the MIB names.

We don't have any clients that would use it, so it could not be tested,
and would thus bit rot quickly.  The whold point of using an SNMP MIB is
that we don't need to write any clients or create any header files.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588