Re: Multi-columns in ms

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: Multi-columns in ms
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 22:04:41 +0200

Hi Branden,

On 30/04/2023 00:07, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

There's no inherent support for this.  It afflicts multiple macro
packages, though I don't know what mom(7) does.
Thank you for the clarification.
The problem is that it is hard to say under that circumstance what the
right thing to do is if a footnote happens inside the multi-column area.
Dave Kemper and I have discussed this extensively in the venue of
several groff Savannah bugs regarding me(7).

Definitely an important constraint for the general case; in my case no
footnote is necessary.

Also, how do I force a column to break? .bp forces a page break, it
does not break a column.
This is something of an ms(7) FAQ and maybe I should add it to our
documentation.

Tell the formatter you "need" a ridiculous amount of vertical space,
where "ridiculous" is the length of your page, or more.  This will force
a column (or page) break.  The excess requested space is discarded.

.ne 200i

I'll give it a try.

Thank you indeed.

Best regards,