Re: Mission statement and Knuth-Plass reconsidered

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Mission statement and Knuth-Plass reconsidered
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 00:57:09 +0100

On Tuesday, 23 May 2023 23:49:05 BST John Gardner wrote:
> The embedded typeface (both in the original PDF and Deri's version) are
> encoded in Type 1 format. Given the constraints of that particular font
> format, it wouldn't surprise me if the conversion from TeX's font-format
> (whatever the hell it is) was a crude one. Type 1 font files are also
> limited to 255 characters, so robust character sets need to be stored in
> multiple separate "fonts" (which would explain the hideous kerning of
> "Žena" and "Můj").

I don't think either version is original. The first file had been processed by
ghostscript and we know that the original was produced on pdftex so
ghostscript would not be in the workflow. The second was produced by
pdftex-0.14h which is roughly contemporaneous with the thesis, but it also
records that it was modified 3 years ago, and it claims to be pdf 1.6, which
was not around in 2001.

I understand the main problem with type 1 fonts is the 256 glyph restriction
with pdfs, there is no such restriction in the font itself, I have Japanese
type 1 fonts with more than 18000 glyphs which can be used in pdfs. Type 1 is
dumber than more modern formats, but the glyphs themselves are the result of
stroked  paths, just the same, it means that the intelligence has to be in the
software rather than the font itself. Attached is the Japanese version of the
groff.7 man page produced by groff.

The weird Můj is because in the pdf it strokes "Brno - M" followed by the ring
glyph after which it jumps back and draws the "u". The problem is that it
jumps back a little too far, so this is an error in the computation of the
distance to jump backwards, rather than using a type 1 font.

Cheers

Deri