guile-gtk-general

Re: ChangeLog organization

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: ChangeLog organization
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 13:18:54 +0100

Yo,

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 19:39 +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> and maybe the current ChangeLogs should be renamed
> >
> > Hmm, maybe on installation. I like the fact that I can type C-x 4 a to
> > automagically prepend an entry to the changelog. Perhaps if you
> > accompanied the patch with a brief snippet of elisp ;-)
> >
> I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. I thought of renaming
> the ChangeLog:s in their current state to ChangeLog.pre-split (or
> somethink like that), and then have a clean new ChangeLog we use from
> this point on.

I would be inclined to agree, but there are a couple of problems.

One is that we have ChangeLogs spread all over the source dir. In the
mainline gtk category, there's one in gnome/gw, one in gnome/, one in
the root, etc. Probably one in examples, too. What to do with those?

The second is that I already merged a bunch of them in my tree. For many
categories, I catted together the changelogs in subdirectories, sorted
the entries, and culled out the ones that weren't relevant to the
category. It's not critical, but it was a bit of work.

I find that having all of the changelog entries in one file is quite
useful as a record of design decisions, especially for the core gobject
bindings. So I would suggest that we go along with what I've already
done in my tree, unless there are bigger objections.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>