guix-europe

Re: Event?

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: Event?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:00:14 +0200

On 10.07.20 13:17, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> I'm sure there's some people with fairly weak machines. When I join
> Jitsi I always do it from my phone since it always crashes by browser.
> I'll have to try out OBS on my machine (using last year's FOSDEM
> presentation I suppose) to see how well it'll work for live presenting
> or pre-recording.

Tbh, I don't think we will have a pleasure experience with Jitsi. I
tried that multiple times on different servers with around 10 users from
the same city. It wasn't a nice experience at all. With participants
from all over the world, I guess it will be even worse like on our Guix
Europe meeting, although it was BigBlueButton...

> On the peer programming side, I know we have asciinema packaged but I
> don't know if that supports live broadcasting. I know there's another
> service out there that can be used to watch people play nethack but I've
> lost my bookmark to it.
>
> Is there a voice chat that's less demanding than Jitsi? We can figure
> out the streaming of video and a joint audio separately if a
> presentation isn't live or when peer programming.

I wonder how well Mumble can perform in our case. I didn't used it for a
long while, but the quality was quite good back then. So that's maybe an
option.

If we wanna do a "technical test run", count me in.