guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:30:48 +0300

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:54:28AM -0400, Julien Lepiller wrote:

> Le 14 septembre 2020 06:38:23 GMT-04:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >Dear,
> >
> >Thank you for your replies.
> >

> >> With delays and varying audio quality, it can be hard to follow
> >what's going on, so we should make sure we're not going to all talk at
> >the same time. Making separate rooms could be nice to reduce the number
> >of participants in the same chat.
> >
> >I agree.  What I had in mind when proposing the schedule is:
> >
> > - start with a 1 to n stream with thematic pre-recorded videos,
> >presenting the rooms
> > - in each room let consider a chairman
> > - the room could do a n to n voice/video communication, if the number
> >is participant is enough low, or 1 to n voice/video if higher and the
> >n to n communication happens on IRC, the chairman reporting back
> > - at the end of the session, all the chairmen explain in m to n
> >communications what had been discussed
> >
> >Technically, what we need is:
> >
> > - something to stream
> > - check the BBB instance: if it works well for people around the
> >world (far from Southern France :-))
> >

> >WDYT?
>
> Sounds great!
>
> Something like a plenary session in the beginning, with pre-recorded talks
> and chat over irc, then sessions chaired by someone, more or less
> unconference style, with a chat on irc, in separate channels. After each
> session ends, the chairs provide a 2 minutes summary of what happened, and we
> start again with another round of thematic sessions.
>
> With pre-recorded talks, we can have a schedule and easily keep it. Here's
> what I suggest:
>
> Start at 9:00, welcome everyone, explain the schedule.
> 9:15: first talk. 30 minutes, and 15 minutes for questions
> 10:05: second talk, same format
> 10:55: third talk, 15 minutes, 10 minutes for questions
> 10:25: fourth talk, same format
> 10:55: break, free talk on irc
> 11:30: presentation of the rest of the activities.
> 11:40: first unconference session (encourage people to chair a session with
> their favorite subject, and letting them work/discuss)
> 13:00: summary of previous session and second session
> 14:30: summary of previous session, break and free talk
> 16:00: summary of previous session and third session
> 17:30: summary of previous session and fourth session
> 19:00: summary of previous session, the chair gives final thoughts on the
> day. Free discussion on IRC.
>
> Note that I haven't put a lunch break, because it might not correspond to
> everyone's timezone. For instance the conference starts at 3am for me, so
> I'll need a breakfast break :p. So I'm thinking people could leave one of the
> sessions to eat, and come back for the following session.
>
> Now we need to find the right technique. Can we host multiple sessions in BBB
> by branching from a big gathering? Can we force everyone to have their mic
> [...]

Some other thoughts: A 'food break' every 3 hours or so. It doesn't
matter what timezone you're in, shifting a meal an hour earlier/later
isn't a big deal and then people don't skip a talk to eat.

Etherpad document or something per talk. Lets people have real-time
comments about the talk that possibly someone else can answer or combine
into a "deeper" question. Also if we pre-record talks and have a 'joint
watching time', someone can watch it later (or later in the day!) and
still make comments in the document.