help-gawk

Re: puzzled by the result of this multi-dimensional array code

From: Peter Lindgren
Subject: Re: puzzled by the result of this multi-dimensional array code
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:06:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 10:29:19 PM CDT, Neil R. Ormos <ormos@ormos.org>
wrote:

(b) checking the program and the input data for
    characters other than printable ASCII and
    newlines; and

I found that the original input data had Windows/dos line endings (CRLF -
0d0a). My subset of the test data still had such endings, since I had simply
grepped out those lines and redirected them to my test file. Removing the
extraneous CR / 0d / ^M character JUST FROM THE TITLE LINE fixed the problem.
This seems to imply that the split function is more sensitive to such line
endings than the regular automatic record parsing?? In any case, all's well.

Thank you for the hint!