Tar w/ multiple volumes to create 650MB chunks?

From: Brian D.
Subject: Tar w/ multiple volumes to create 650MB chunks?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:34:05 EST

Hi,

Is it possible to use tar with the -M and -L (and -f) options to create 650 MB file sizes (for CD writing)? I'm not very familiar with gnu tar, and when I tried this it gave me an error saying I had an incorrect size for the -L option.

If this isn't possible with tar, is there another piece of software out there for UNIX which does this? I could write a simple one myself, but I thought I'd ask first.

 Thanks,
- bd