installing gcl-2.3.6

From: Yogindra Persaud
Subject: installing gcl-2.3.6
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:33:46 -0700

Hi, I just recently downloaded gcl-2.3.6 from the gnu website.  I'm running mandrake linux 7.0, and I'm logged in as root.  However, I can't seem to get it installed.  I'm reading the readme file, and it says that I should configure it for the machine I'm running.   The problem is when I type " ./configure --help " , it says that I don't have permission to access this file.  As a said, I'm root, but if i do an " ls -l ", configure is owned by "users".  What does this mean.  I thought that if you're logged in as root, you should have access to anything.  Please help.

YP