Re: Linking both static and shared libraries with G++

From: Tristan Van Berkom
Subject: Re: Linking both static and shared libraries with G++
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:59:59 -0500

steve.shave@syntegra.com wrote:
Hi Tristan Thanks for the reply. I've tried with the -l which does not take the lib or .a + I've tried with the ld -B static -B dynamic flags which also do not seem to work.
Ok, now you've refreshed my memory ;-)

    its -Bstatic and -Bdynamic (not -B static and -B dynamic).

Note that with the significance of the order of objects to link on the
`ld' command line, you may need to specify these flags a few times.

example:
% ld -o my_program -Bdynamic -lc -lm -Bstatic -lgobject -lglib \
    -Bdynamic -lGL -Bstatic -lXlib ...

In this example, you link libc, libm, libGL dynamicly and you link
libgobject, libglib and libXlib staticly, but still in a specific order.

If you want some helpfull output from `ld' you can use the map option:
% ld -o myprogram -la -lb -lc... -Map mapfile

At least in the mapfile you can check which object files (archive or shared)
that were used in the link.

HTH,
                                     -Tristan