tar exit codes?

From: ivo welch
Subject: tar exit codes?
Date: 24 Apr 2004 17:15:30 -0700

I was looking at "info tar", "man tar", and "tar --help", but could
not find documentation for the gnu tar exit codes.  I am getting an
exit code of 512 upon creating an 8.9GB tar archive (of my main
partition), but I do not think it overflowed the filesystem (ext3),
nor do I see any other error in the created archive.  (generated by
tar -clf).  still, trusting my data backups to tar, I would want to be
able to check whether everything went alright.  should I be concerned?

help appreciated. /iaw