Re: How to simplify this makefile?

From: Tristan Van Berkom
Subject: Re: How to simplify this makefile?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:14:47 -0400

Karl Berry wrote:
    `..\Materials\PT3443Color.pdf'.  Stop.

The rule I sent:
..\Materials\00%.pdf : 00%.ppt

says that
..\Materials\00anything.pdf depends on 00anything.ppt.
Since that's what it seemed like you were asking for.
[ ... ]

Umm, I'm somehow getting the feeling that Bob didn't read:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

I strongly suggest it if you are going to get into the practice of
writing makefiles.

If that documentation isn't sufficient, I've found Paul's personal
site to have a wealth of information on good practices of writing
makefiles caveats, and have found it particularly usefull in figuring
out how VPATH works (or doesn't):
    http://make.paulandlesley.org/

Cheers,
                                      -Tristan