checking for berkeley DB 4.x within configure.in

From: Adam Monsen
Subject: checking for berkeley DB 4.x within configure.in
Date: 22 May 2004 00:52:08 -0700

PLEASE FOLLOWUP TO gnu.utils.help ONLY. GOOGLE GROUPS DOESN'T
CURRENTLY SUPPORT FOLLOWUP-TO HEADERS.

How do I check for the presence of Berkeley DB 4.x libraries within a
configure.in (autoconf) file?

I found the following m4 macro file:
http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/Installed_Packages/ax_path_bdb.html

So I add it to a file called 'acinclude.m4' in the root dir of my
source tree, and add the following lines to configure.in:

# check for Berkeley DB >= 4
AX_PATH_BDB([4],
 [LIBS="$BDB_LIBS $LIBS"
 LDFLAGS="$BDB_LDFLAGS $LDFLAGS"
 CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $BDB_CPPFLAGS"
])

When I do this, it's as if autoconf starts failing in seemingly
unrelated ways, possibly forgetting it's "core" macros:

Running autoconf ...
configure.in:13: error: possibly undefined macro: dnl
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure:5421: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_VAR_PUSHDEF
configure:5430: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SEARCH_LIBS
configure:5447: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_VAR_POPDEF

wtf?

I also see,
./configure: line 5416: syntax error near unexpected token
`$HEADER_VERSION,ge,4,'
./configure: line 5416: `
AX_COMPARE_VERSION($HEADER_VERSION,ge,4,'

PS-
I'm doing this for http://gnewsuck.sf.net/, so if anyone does have
time to help me out with this (and wants to try it out themselves),
all the source code is very freely available under the GPL.