Re: Hardcopy of info subtree?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Hardcopy of info subtree?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:25:01 -0400

Hi again Jill,

    Is there a simple way to get a hardcopy of an info subtree (i.e.
    a node plus all of its children)?

It's basically just a text file, so a simple zcat find.info* | lpr would
mostly suffice.  The character CTRL-_ is used, if you think your printer
won't like it you can get rid of it with tr.  You might want to get rid
of the CTRL-L's, too, unless you like one node per piece of paper.

However, I think you'll find the TeX output much shorter and easier to
read, so I don't recommend printing the info files.

    Is there a simple way to get the typeset version?

Yes, find.texi should be included in the source package, or you can get
it from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/findutils.  Unpack it, and in the doc
subdirectory, just run texi2dvi find.texi.  You'll end up with a dvi
file, which you can print with lpr -d (if your lpr is set up for that),
or dvips find.dvi, or whatever.

Or you can run texi2pdf to get a PDF file, if you like that better.

Having typed all that, I forgot that it's already premade in various
formats and available online (as all GNU manuals should be).
See the links on
  http://www.gnu.org/software/findutils/manual/find.html
(no pdf though)

HTH,