Re: Gnu Core utils, GPL and commercial apps

From: Martin T.
Subject: Re: Gnu Core utils, GPL and commercial apps
Date: 7 Apr 2005 10:49:18 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
>     Especially, is it possible to bundle the mentioned tools in a
>     installation-Zip file or the like, without violating the GPL?
>
> As far as I know, you can use GNU sed in a non-free shell script, but
if
> you distribute the sed binary, you must also distribute the sed
source
> (under the GPL) that you yourself used to create the binary.
>
>[...]

Thanks. I actually never built it myself. Just downloaded the bins (Its
GnuWin32 to be honest :) ... I've put a text file along with the bins
with the gpl in it and a link to where to get the sources from. I'll
guess I'll also put a zip with the sources there, just to be sure.

> This is just my opinion (although I am pretty sure), not an official
> ruling :).  If you want an official ruling, write licensing@gnu.org.

Well ... at least to me it seems, regarding copyright and licensing,
noone can never be sure ;)

thanks again, best regards
Martin