Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing c

From: Stan Brown
Subject: Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing commands
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:04:35 -0400

On 18 Jul 2005 11:25:34 -0400, "Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org>
wrote:

>%% Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>  sb> Thanks for the reply. I tried -win32 on the make command line,
>
>That option is only available in the Cygwin port of GNU make.  It is not
>an option on the vanilla FSF version of GNU make.

Oh.

>  sb> It would help in diagnosing this if I could find out what commands
>  sb> MAKE actually passes to the command processor. Does anyone know
>  sb> how to do that, short of altering the source code and recompiling?
>
>Not sure what you're asking... make prints the commands it runs.  If
>you're looking for anything other than that you'd need to change the
>code.

Well, no, not always. For instance, it prints "rm abc" but I don't
believe it actually passes "rm abc" to the command shell, since
CMD.EXE doesn't recognize "rm" as a command.

But what I'm asking is, how could I find out _exactly_ what it
passes to the command shell, character for character, including
command-shell switches?

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
                                   -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)