Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing c

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing commands
Date: 24 Jul 2005 13:00:42 -0400

%% Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

  >> There is no way to get more than what you already see without adding
  >> code to GNU make.

  sb> Thanks -- this is what I was asking.

OK.  I did say this same thing in my first reply, though :-).

  sb> I'm immensely frustrated, and I have no idea where to turn --
  sb> debugging make in source code is really not a project I want to
  sb> take on. I know it's a free program, so I don't have any right to
  sb> complain;but I'm astonished that as long as XP has been out,
  sb> someone hasn't noticed this problem and fixed it.

I expect that it works OK for others, or there would be more
complaining.  Although note that the Windows port of GNU make is
"community maintained": the official GNU make maintainers (ahem) don't
have any Windows systems and can't even test whether it compiles on
Windows, much less works correctly there.