Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup

From: olbl03
Subject: Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup
Date: 10 Oct 2005 07:25:26 -0700

Dear oh dear!

Since I saw some agreement on the build directory this is most likely
what the GNU guys told Sune:

Let's pretend we have an environment variable $RSD that points to the
base directory rsd

1) Sune, since you already have been able to configure and compile your
code you need to get read of the 'mess' as you call it by doing like
so:

cd $RSD
make distclean

2) Create the build directory

mkdir ../build

3) Add the following into the Makefile.ams of the subdirectories:

AM_CPPFLAGS = -I $(RSD)

(If it's not already there)

4) autoreconf
    cd ../build
    ../rsd/configure
    make

Now the autotols suite has been used as it is meant to.

And about the for i ..... hack suggested. In all honesty, why create a
subshell and spawn/exit 80-100 make process? If cross compilation is
utilized for say 5 architectures and the project is big I think doing
like above and executing make 5 times instead of 500 times is to
prefer.

About VPATH, locating source and distribute targets is different to me.
So the paper makes sense, at least to me, in that respect.

Another link which gives a good picture of file releationships in the
GNU Autotool suite is:

http://seul.org/docs/autotut/#intro

Friends?    #8)

/Olle