make suffix/pattern rules

From: flupiagit
Subject: make suffix/pattern rules
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:51:41 +0100

I don't understand exactly what happens if I clear the .SUFFIXES: target.
Yes, the built-in pattern rules, normally generated for the suffixes present
in .SUFFIXES, will disappear. However, a number of suffix-rules seem to
disappear as well (only single suffix rules), while others remain.Maybe this
doesn't affect the way make interprets the Makefile, but still I'm curious.
As an example, the .c: suffix rule remains, the .tex: suffix rule is
removed.
Does anyone know why? (I used 'make -p' to find out about the diffs.)

thanks,  Gert

The diffs:

diff  suffixrules_default   suffixrules_cleared
11,12c11
< .SUFFIXES: .out .a .ln .o .c .cc .C .cpp .p .f .F .r .y .l .s .S .mod .sym
.def .h .info .dvi .tex .texinfo .texi .txinfo .w
 .ch .web .sh .elc .el
< .a:
---
> .SUFFIXES: