NEWBIE - putting literal lines in Makefile & Makefile.in

From: alex-google-groups
Subject: NEWBIE - putting literal lines in Makefile & Makefile.in
Date: 1 Dec 2005 10:07:27 -0800

I have a modification I have made to a makefile in an autoconf system.
Amongst other
things it includes the lines

include somefile
something := ${shell somecommand}

It all works fine.

However, as the rest of the makefile is generated using automake (from
Makefile.am) I want to
put the modification in makefile.am. What happens is that in building
Makefile.in, automake
interprets the above two commands at that point (i.e. includes
somefile, and runs the shell
command). For my purpose, I DON'T want this to happen. I want them only
interpreted
when "make" is run. (Let's say the command was
  something := ${shell date someoptions}
and I wanted a consistent date and time accross the makefile's
execution - it's not, but
that illustrates the point.

How can I persuade automake NOT to interpret those lines, i.e. just to
dump them blindly
into the Makefile?