making a libtool module

From: john . calcote
Subject: making a libtool module
Date: 26 Sep 2006 08:52:29 -0700

Hi!

Anyone out there have any idea what the libtool -module flag is
actually supposed to do?

The doc says it's for creating dynamically loadable modules, which
implies to me that it skips the static library (.a) entirely, and
perhaps leaves out the links (.so, .so.0). If a module is intended to
be loaded dynamically with dlopen, then why would the system create a
static library? Yet, the only difference I can see is that perhaps the
library naming conventions are loosened up a bit (no requirement to
start with "lib".

I still get the .a files and .so* links. Maybe I just am
misunderstanding the purpose - if so, I'd love to be set straight.

Thanks in advance,
John