Regarding Diff Utility

From: uday bhaskar
Subject: Regarding Diff Utility
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 02:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I am using diff utilitiy to compare the two filesof
the following format:

File One
--------

Line one to be deleted

Line two to be deleted

Line three to be deleted

Common first line

--------
File Two
--------

Common first line

As expected the ouput of diff is 3d1.

But when the same matter is located at the beginning
of two huge files (around 100 pages), the output is
not as as expected.

It is showing some 1, 2 c 1, 3 format for the same
matter.

Can any one kindy provide a pointer about the
behaviour of diff with repect to the above mentinoned
two cases.  I think that the diagnol-snake algorithm
used in the diff utility is causing the change.

Regards,
Bhaskar.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
bargains.