Re: Newbie can't get gnu grep to produce results

From: RichardL
Subject: Re: Newbie can't get gnu grep to produce results
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:23:58 -0700

On Jul 25, 11:39 am, Pascal Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com>
wrote:
> RichardL <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.com> writes:
> > K:\Temp\GnuTest>grep -l -i 'hello' *.txt
>
> I know not much of MS-DOS and even less of MS-Windows, but ISTR that
> the * is not expanded by COMMAND.COM.  grep finds no file named
> '*.txt' so it prints nothing, which is as documented.
>
> Try:
>
>    grep -l -i hello song.txt HelloWorld.txt
>
> If that works, then downloadhttp://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
> install cygwin, and use bash as shell instead of COMMAND.COM.
> Unix shells do expand characters such as * themselves.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
> Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
> stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and
> neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush

Thanks Pascal,

The command you recommended worked perfectly,  i.e. it reported back
both filenames.

I am in the process of trying out Win-Bash because it advertises
itself as being self-contained, i.e no DLLs to worry about.  Do you
think Cygwin's bash is substantially superior to Win-Bash?  While I
await learning your opinion, I'll fool around with it.
--
Richard