Re: GNU Tar on Windows XP

From: Gadrin
Subject: Re: GNU Tar on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:13:32 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 2, 6:36 pm, b...@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:
> Gadrin wrote:
> > guess I got carried away with this from the manual:
>
> > $ find dir tests | \
> >   tar -cf archive -T - --no-recursion
>
> That is even better.  *I* didn't know about the -T option.  It is not
> in the traditional legacy tar but is a cool GNU extension.  The "-" in
> this case is a traditional name for stdin/stdout.  So this does read
> the file list from stdin.
>
> Bob

Yes, and no.

Yes it does read from the stdin but the problem is that it seems to be
ignoring
the fact I only want folders.

J:\Temp Folders\wbtTemp>find c:\writing\winbatch -type d
c:\writing\winbatch
c:\writing\winbatch\2007-Tutorial
c:\writing\winbatch\2007-Tutorial\Access
c:\writing\winbatch\2007-Tutorial\Excel
c:\writing\winbatch\2007-Tutorial\MSIE
c:\writing\winbatch\2007-Tutorial\Web
c:\writing\winbatch\HomeCare
c:\writing\winbatch\MYSQL

lists all folders, however when tar gets a-hold of them, it thinks I
want their
contents. It fills the archive with ALL the files in those folders.
That's the
Windows Command Interpreter obviously.

Obviously on that page I posted it seemed to work
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1204517542565+28353475&threadId=1178036

do you get only folders and the structure (no files) on a test on your
system ?