partial linking

From: tns1
Subject: partial linking
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:12:27 -0700

I have source tree with many folders containing many .o files each. I wish to partially link the contents of each folder so I have one combined .o file (library?) for each folder. These combined (object files?, libraries?) will go thru a final link step at a later stage in the build.

Is there anything special about how this partial linking or can I just do something like:

$(OBJS)=a.o b.o c.o
mylink.b : $(OBJS)
        ld -o mylink.b $(OBJS)

Does building in this multi-tiered fashion result in a larger final image, or can the final link still remove redundancies?