Re: copy with extension rename

From: tns1
Subject: Re: copy with extension rename
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:03:00 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
    simplest way to copy and rename all *.a files to *.b   ???

Different people will have different answers.  What I do is:

rename.pl 's/a$/b/' *.a

where rename.pl is the appended Perl script (it exists in many versions
around the net).  This version is slightly modified by me from lwall's
original to print the successful renames.

karl

Thanks,
I ended up using make to do the job since I am compiling now anyway. This is under cygwin and I don't want to install another 5MB just to rename some files.

I am really surprised it can't be done easily with cp, since with DOS its just copy *.c *.o.