Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries

From: fuhz . fr
Subject: Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries directories
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:57:01 -0800 (PST)

> How are you separating these?  I think that may be the cause of this
> next problem that you mention.

MyProject/src
MyProject/bin
MyProject/bin/linux
MyProject/bin/windows

configure.ac:
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/main.cpp)
No VPATH customization.

Compilation:
~MyProject : cd bin/linux
~MyProject : ../../configure
~MyProject : make

> This works okay for me with Emacs.  I think it should work okay for
> you too.  I suggest looking into this more deeply to determine why it
> isn't working for you.  I would try a different project for a
> comparision.  Pick a sample GNU distributed project that uses autoconf
> and automake and build it using a VPATH build.  Insert a known failure
> so that you can test Emacs' ability to find the source file.  I am
> sure that in this "standard" case that it will work.  In which case
> you will then have an A-B comparison test between a working and
> non-working example and can use that to figure out why your case isn't
> working.

In fact, when I am reading the generated Makefiles, VPATH variables
are correctly set.

I see the problem right now, but I don't understand it. And I really
don't know how to solve it !

In fact, I have the next source tree:
MyProject/src/
MyProject/src/libcore
MyProject/src/plugins
MyProject/src/tests

If I have an error in MyProject/src/libcore and I am running make in
MyProject/bin/linux/src/libcore, source code is correctly found.
If I have an error in MyProject/src/plugins and I am running make in
MyProject/bin/linux/src/plugins, source code is correctly found.
Same for the test directory.

But, I have an error in MyProject/src/libcore and I am running make in
MyProject/bin/linux/src, source code is not found anymore.
This is weird and unpractical.

Do you anderstand this behaviour ?

I have a little more question about Emacs configuration.
When I was building binaries in the source directory, I was running
'make' in the directory of the current file.
It was simple.

Since Makefiles have moved, I am running 'make' in src directory.
Is it a good idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.