Re: dd in loop doesn't transfer full blocks

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: dd in loop doesn't transfer full blocks
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:04:12 -0000

jim <gana1nm@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2:37 am, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqv...@deadspam.com>
>> Is $BS a multiple of something? If so, maybe it would help to do something
>> like:
>>
>> do  dd bs=`echo $BS/8 | bc` count=8

> but I really want a method that doesn't depend
> on my guessing correctly a number (8 in your example) that _might_
> make the problem go away, but also might not.

I can't say for sure of the problem is because of the block size being
bigger than some buffer size you will have to try to see if it works.

However if you don't want to guess on a number, pick the safe number: 1

do  dd bs=1 count=$BS

It will probably give some performance penalty, but hopefully it will
still be good enough for your purpose.

regards Henrik
hc123(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost