RE: sort

From: sudhakara.maddukuri
Subject: RE: sort
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:10:33 +0200

Thank you for your help Bob:):)

/BR

M. Sudhakara Rao

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Proulx [mailto:bob@proulx.com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 9:29 PM
To: Maddukuri, Sudhakara
Cc: help-gnu-utils@gnu.org

sudhakara.maddukuri@consult.nordea.com<mailto:sudhakara.maddukuri@consult.nordea.com>
 wrote:

> Sort -A [Filename] is not working.

GNU sort does not have a -A option.

  $ sort -A

  sort: invalid option -- 'A'

  Try `sort --help' for more information.

Are you sure you are using GNU sort?  I suspect you are using a different sort.
 Probably a vendor sort.  Ask it for the version.

  $ sort --version

  sort (GNU coreutils) 8.13

> How to handle Sorts on a byte-by-byte basis using ASCII collation

> order instead of collation in the current locale using sort command

> Please help me

Set the LC_ALL=C variable for sort.  Or at least LC_COLLATE=C.  If you are
using a /bin/sh or derivative then you can do this on the command line for sort
by placing the variable setting before the command.

  LC_ALL=C sort

If you are using one of the csh derived shells then you can use the "env"
program as a helper.  Some people document env only since it will always work
correctly regardless of shell or function or aliases.

  env LC_ALL=C sort

In my ~/.profile I set the following.  It sets the LANG to UTF-8 so that I get
unicode characters but overrides the collation sequence to be C so that I
always get byte comparisons for a traditional Unix sort order.  This works for
en_US.UTF-8 and for most other western languages.  But I have no idea how it
would interact with chinese big5 for example.  It may be a good compromise for
you as well.

  export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

  export LC_COLLATE=C

There is an FAQ with more information here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#Sort-does-not-sort-in-normal-order_0021

> Note: Its working in IBM AIX

It is likely that your AIX locale is already set to C (or POSIX, an alias for
C).

Bob