Re: [Help-librejs] Compatibility with Seamonkey

From: zach wick
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] Compatibility with Seamonkey
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:17:46 -0500

Hi there,
Hopefully I can help clear up your confusion here.

As we mention on the LibreJS site [0], "LibreJS is a free add-on for GNU IceCat and other Mozilla-based browsers." I don't recall SeaMonkey ever being actively supported in the entire life of LibreJS. That isn't to that LibreJS *can't* support SeaMonkey, it is just that I'm not aware of any development efforts ever happening to bring SeaMonkey.

My first instinct is to say that the reason that this plugin conversion tool that you mention didn't work is that the LibreJS code has some pretty deep hooks into the guts of IceCat (and Firefox by association) and I suspect that those same hooks don't exist in Seamonkey. My understanding is that Seamonkey diverged from the Firefox around 2005 when the Mozilla Application Suite became separate tools (Firefox and Thunderbird for instance), so there is 11 years of divergence between the two code bases.

If you are willing to submit patches (and more importantly maintain) support with SeaMonkey you are more than welcome to. I hate answering with "patches welcome", but that seems to be the case here. I don't see adding SeaMonkey support to be a high priority for LibreJS. I would be happy to be proven wrong though, and I invite you to hack with us!

-zach

[0] https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/