Re: [Help-librejs] Compatibility with Seamonkey

From: Richmond
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] Compatibility with Seamonkey
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 15:58:03 +0000

zach wick wrote:
> Hi there,
> Hopefully I can help clear up your confusion here.
>
> As we mention on the LibreJS site [0], "LibreJS is a free add-on for GNU
> IceCat and other Mozilla-based browsers." I don't recall SeaMonkey ever
> being actively supported in the entire life of LibreJS. That isn't to that
> LibreJS *can't* support SeaMonkey, it is just that I'm not aware of any
> development efforts ever happening to bring SeaMonkey.
>
> My first instinct is to say that the reason that this plugin conversion
> tool that you mention didn't work is that the LibreJS code has some pretty
> deep hooks into the guts of IceCat (and Firefox by association) and I
> suspect that those same hooks don't exist in Seamonkey. My understanding is
> that Seamonkey diverged from the Firefox around 2005 when the Mozilla
> Application Suite became separate tools (Firefox and Thunderbird for
> instance), so there is 11 years of divergence between the two code bases.
>
> If you are willing to submit patches (and more importantly maintain)
> support with SeaMonkey you are more than welcome to. I hate answering with
> "patches welcome", but that seems to be the case here. I don't see adding
> SeaMonkey support to be a high priority for LibreJS. I would be happy to be
> proven wrong though, and I invite you to hack with us!

I understand the "patches welcome" response. My understanding of the
situation with Seamonkey, having complied this version myself, is that
core components are shared with firefox/drawn in from firefox during the
compilation. Hence the user agent string which says "User-Agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
SeaMonkey/2.50a2" i.e. based on the yet to be released firefox 53.

As for patching, I am not familiar with web extensions at all, but I
will have a look and see what I can find out.