Re: [Help-librejs] Webpack plugin proposal to generate Web Labels page

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] Webpack plugin proposal to generate Web Labels page
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 06:56:19 +0300

Antoine Lambert <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am currently working on the web application enabling to browse the
> Software Heritage archive (https://archive.softwareheritage.org).

Looks great!  I was also very pleased to found out, that it’s functional
without any client scripts (well, much more functional than Gitlab, at least
:-).

> I wanted to add LibreJS compliance for this web application but as I
> am using webpack to generate the JavaScript assets, I had a doubt whether
> it was feasible or not.

Imho, that is quite feasible for the aims of propaganda, but for practical
freedom it would better have _working_ sourcemaps first.  They seem to be
there, but the declaration is nonstandard (just
‘webapp.1328be1766de4e979da7.js.map’ instead of
‘sourceMappingURL=webapp.1328be1766de4e979da7.js.map’), thus is not recognized
by Firefox.

(By the way, it would be nice to have them for minified stylesheets too.)

> So I have implemented a webpack plugin processing the statistics available
> after the whole webpack compilation...:
>
> https://forge.softwareheritage.org/source/swh-web/browse/master/swh/web/assets/config/webpack-plugins/generate-weblabels-webpack-plugin/

That’s by all means cool, but as a mere passerby, I am convinced, that LibreJS
have to make use of sourcemaps on its own, without mandating use of another
protocol.

> When reading the current LibreJS documentation, Section 7.1.1 "Specifying
> multiple license files for a single JavaScript file" rings a bell to me...
> However, I have the feeling that LibreJS specifications should better handle
> the "multiple licenses for a single JavaScript file" case...
> For instance, if a compatible license...
> Another issue...
> What do you think of the proposed approach?

I am not sure, if any of LibreJS developers actually read this (user’s) list.
It might make sense to crosspost to <address@hidden>.