Re: How to disable line-wrapping in KMail? (was: How to express dual lic

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: How to disable line-wrapping in KMail? (was: How to express dual licensing)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:21:25 -0400

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:03:05 +0300 Dmitry wrote:
> John Scott <jscott@posteo.net> wrote:
> > I sometimes ‹…› do the wrapping by hand.
>
> But why??  (I hope you do not just hate your correspondents :-)
> Do you worry about the ancient SMTP limit of 1000 bytes per

there is a reason, actually - just last week, i watched a talk
by Kevlin Henney, in which he explained it - the reason why
email clients and text editors have the auto-wrapping and column
guides features, is because people tend to read better with
short lines, around 60-80 characters maximum, which can be read
without turning one's head from side-to-side - when lines of
text are longer than that, people tend to lose interest

you will find that most news/blog websites follow that rule of
thumb - books have been printed that way for centuries