Re: Making State of New Hampshire websites LibreJS-compatible

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Making State of New Hampshire websites LibreJS-compatible
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 20:21:18 +1100

On Wed, Jan 12 2022, Eric Gallager wrote:

> Hi, I am a state-level legislator in New Hampshire and have a bill
> (HB1273, which I call the "SOFTWARE Act") that, among other things,
> would require LibreJS compatibility with state websites. It might not
> say "LibreJS" specifically in the bill, but that's the basic goal of
> the section on proprietary javascript. The bill has been mentioned on
> libreplanet-discuss recently:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2022-01/msg00044.html
> (I'm not subscribed to that list, though, so that's why I'm not
> replying there)
> I am wondering what sort of assistance that LibreJS developers and
> users could provide to our state Department of Information Technology
> to help this happen? Note that there is some Nitter discussion of the
> LibreJS provision here:
> https://nitter.net/cooljeanius/status/1481231381502046211

Thanks for the bill.  I like the idea of ensuring government services to
be usable without nonfree JS.  It seems to me the biggest challenge from
LibreJS is to get more adoption and compliance.  There has been a design
proposal to get LibreJS better at recognising free javascript.  I'll
need to read it again and work on it or share the ideas at this list or
bug-librejs.

> Thanks,
> Eric Gallager

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>